The Tay Do region is famous for its age-old Cai Rang floating market. Regarding the market’s name, many locals said that when the land was first reclaimed, a huge crocodile went there and sank its teeth (Rang in Vietnamese) into the soil there.
Some people have another explanation. Cai Rang originates from the Khmer word “karan”, which is also a popular product sold by Khmer locals in this region.
Mr Le Phu Khai, a journalist who focuses on the Mekong River Delta, says: “Mekong river delta residents mainly travel by crisscrossing canals so it’s best for them to carry goods to a hub of rivers for sale. The hub naturally becomes a floating market and Cai Rang in particular and other floating markets in the delta are very lively, even more bustling than their counterparts in Thailand.”
At Cai Rang, people sell fruit and farm products, namely mangos, plums, oranges, grapefruits, star apples, onions, guavas and chillies, which are peculiar to southwestern Vietnam
“The market is especially busy and exciting before Tet,” says Quan My Nhien, a local tourist guide.
Nhien says that everyday, hundreds of boats from within Can Tho city and its neighbouring provinces arrive in the market from as early as 3-4 am.
“The products from Cai Rang are part of the region’s commerce and way of life and have become a special feature of Can Tho City as well as the Mekong delta. We had an early plan to protect the environment around Cai Rang market and to remind the traders of proper conduct with the aim of leaving customers and visitors with a good impression of the market.”
- Front Range housing markets may still grow, but price declines are coming, computer model predicts
- Outdoor Inflated Leisure Products Market Outlook, Market Size, Share, Trends, Drivers and Growth 2023
- Perfect Pairings: MSG and Potstickers from 99 Ranch Market
- Medina High School students recycle Junk Boat Float for seventh year
- Financial Investors Lag In M&A Activity In The 3D Printing Devices Market, New Report Reveals
- Traffic Management Systems Market to touch a valuation of US$ 75,228.8 Mn by the end of 2028
- 2018 Landing Gear Market: Industry Classification,Opportunities,Types and Applications,Status and Forecast to 2025
- Medical Wearables Leading Players Find A Range of Strategies For Their Market, A New Report Shows
- Grains and cotton beneficiaries of global equity market weakness, will it last?
- LTE Advanced and 5G Market (RAT, HSPA, GSM, WiMAX, Wi-Fi) Size, Status and Forecast to 2025 Research Report