GENEVA: Measles cases rose 300 per cent worldwide through the first three months of 2019 compared to the same period last year, the World Health Organisation said on Monday (Apr 15), as concern grows over the impact of anti-vaccination stigma. WHO data shows measles kills about 134,000 children a year AFP/SEYLLOU Measles, which is highly contagious, can be entirely prevented through a two-dose vaccine, but the World Health Organisation (WHO) has in recent months sounded the alarm over slipping vaccination rates. “Preliminary global data shows that reported cases rose by 300 per cent in the first three months of 2019, compared to the same period in 2018. This follows consecutive increases over the past two years,” it said in a statement. “While this data is provisional and not yet complete, it indicates a clear trend. Many countries are in the midst of sizeable measles outbreaks, with all regions of the world experiencing sustained rises in cases,” it added. The agency noted that only about one in 10 actual measles cases are reported, meaning the early trends for 2019 likely underestimate the severity of the outbreaks. So far this year, 170 countries have reported 112,163 measles cases to WHO. At this… Read full this story
- KING: Outrage over police abuse has disappeared in 2016, even with hundreds already killed by law enforcement this year
- Body camera footage shows Louisiana police shooting that killed 6-year-old autistic boy (WARNING: GRAPHIC)
- Countdown to retirement: A 5-year plan
- Trial set for man accused of groping 4-year-old Hartland girl
- 5 years after Superstorm Sandy, the lessons haven't sunk in
- Giants Evan Engram looking to improve off solid rookie year
- At least 107 measles cases confirmed across 21 states
- Women Had Fewer Speaking Roles on Film Last Year Than a Decade Ago, Study Finds
- Kearney Tackles Cancer celebrates 10 years of helping local cancer patients
- It took two years for cops to crack the dead woman's phone. Here's how they got in.
Global measles cases up 300% year on year: WHO have 315 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at April 16, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.