The Hanoitimes – Vietnam and North Korea have similar background in national protection. But how they responded has set them on different paths after decades. Trump touts Vietnam’s economy as model for North Korea The selection of Vietnam for the second summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has somewhat guided the possible reproduction of some economic models that have portrayed Vietnam one of the world’s fastest-growing economies. Vietnamese President Nguyen Phu Trong and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi on March 1. Photo: VNS First of all, Vietnam serves as case study of foe-turned-ally. Vietnam and the US, once military enemies, are now parties in trade. Trade between Vietnam and the US has skyrocketed, growing from US$451 million in 1995 to roughly US$60 billion in 2018, according to statistics. People in HCM City welcome US President Barack Obama in May 2016. Photo: Soha “The United States is the largest destination for Vietnamese goods, such as clothing, electronics, footwear and seafood. For its part, Vietnam imports machinery, vehicles, and agricultural products from the United States,” according to the US Council on Foreign Relations. People in Hanoi welcome US President… Read full this story
- Pompeo says no sight of North Korea's Kim, real risk of famine in country
- Pompeo says no sign of North Korea's Kim, real risk of famine in country
- Trump says glad to see North Korea's Kim 'back, and well!'
- Trump says glad to see North Korea’s Kim “back, and well!”
- Trump Says U.S. and North Korea Have Already Begun Talks
- Pompeo says US mission in North Korea 'remains the same' regardless of leadership, amid conflicting reports on Kim Jong Un
- North Korea to face the music after cancelling Moranbong shows
- Kim Jong-un’s formidable uncle could seize power as North Korea’s ruling elite ‘will NEVER accept a woman as leader’
- American held in North Korea says he spied for South and asks forgiveness
- Has Kim Jong-un had heart surgery? Medical experts say 'needle' marks on his arms in newly released pictures could hint at procedure
Why world experts say Vietnam should be economic model for North Korea? have 352 words, post on www.hanoitimes.vn at March 3, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.