With a scheduled vote on a House resolution to condemn anti-Semitism pushed back Wednesday, and Democrats reportedly at odds on how to proceed, one former vice presidential nominee is warning the party that failure to act could have repercussions.
Appearing on Fox News Wednesday, former Connecticut Senator and 2000 Vice Presidential nominee Joe Lieberman called Rep. Ilhan Omar‘s (D-MN) newest controversial remarks — in which she suggested that lawmakers who are pro-Israel have an “allegiance” — as “clearly anti-Semitic.” Lieberman believes that the Democratic-controlled House’s response will be crucial.
“When people say words that are biased, bigoted, and hurtful to another group of people — another group of Americans — they have to be condemned quickly or else it takes hold,” Lieberman. “I’m not only thinking about anti-Semitism, I’m thinking about racism, I’m thinking about any kind of bigotry toward any religious group or any other group. I think this is a time of testing for the House of Representatives. And if I may, it’s really a moral test about how clearly they will speak out — in this case against what Congresswoman Omar said, which was clearly anti-Semitic.”
Lieberman went on to warn Democrats that there could be political fallout if they do not issue a clear rebuke.
“Congresswoman Omar’s statements clearly do not represent the thinking of most anybody else in office in the Democratic Party,” Lieberman said. “But if they start to mumble in response to her specific and clear anti-Semitic statement, then the party itself is going to be held more broadly accountable for having similar feelings — which I know they don’t.”
Watch above, via Fox News.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
- Díaz: Don't shrug off Joe Arpaio's Senate bid. He raised just enough cash to be dangerous
- Power Briefing: Senate Dems’ outside group raises eye-popping 22 million in first quarter
- Syria latest live: Further air strikes warning as eyewitnesses describe bombing
- Syria airstrikes: US warns it is 'locked and loaded' if Assad uses chemical weapons again
- Nigeria: Reps Mull Buhari's Impeachment Over $496m Tucano Aircraft Purchase
- Nigeria: Freedom of Information Act Applicable to All States in Nigeria, Appeal Court Rules
- Pro-Trump social media duo accuses Facebook of anti-conservative censorship
- FOX NEWS FIRST: Intense manhunt in Waffle House shooting; Trump to play hardball with North Korea
- Conservative leader: Next House chaplain should have a family
- Hate Attackers Invoke Trump’s Name: Report
- Arguable: With Taylor Swift in the no-politics zone
- After the debates on Syria and antisemitism, Labour is now two parties – and the split could be coming soon
- POLITICO London Playbook, presented by BP: Worst. Summit. Ever. — Brussels says no — Keep on running
- Psych Drugs and Guns Don’t Mix
- He trained a pug to do a Nazi salute for a YouTube video. Now, he’s been fined for a hate crime.
- From racism accusations to botched leaflets – the many FAILS of the Tories’ latest election campaign
- Corbyn's full furious PMQs clash with May over the Windrush scandal
- Don't Drive Distracted, Wireless Industry Says, But Safety Advocates Want More Than Talk
- This summer's movies include 18 sequels, remakes and reboots. That's ridiculous
Joe Lieberman Warns: Dems Will Be Held ‘Accountable’ if They Don’t Act on Rep. Omar’s ‘Clearly Anti-Semitic’ Comments have 505 words, post on www.mediaite.com at March 6, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.