US President Donald Trump convened a press conference at Marriot hotel in Hanoi on February following his meeting with leader of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong-un.
US President Donald Trump at the press conference
Trump thanked the Vietnamese Government and people for supporting his second summit with DPRK leader Kim, the DPRK-USA Hanoi Summit.
He said he and the DPRK leader discussed a number of issues, but it is not the right time to sign a joint statement, adding that he had an effective time with Chairman Kim.
According to him, the obstacle in negotiations lies in sanctions. The DPRK wants full removal of the sanctions but the US is yet to be able to meet such a demand.
However, he also affirmed the US is still interested in maintaining ties with the DPRK.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, for his part, said the talks progressed in the past 24-36 hours.
He added that the two sides’ working groups will meet in next weeks, and expressed his optimism that further progress will be made.
Earlier, the two leaders unexpectedly concluded negotiations earlier than schedule.
President Trump: DPRK commits no nuclear, ballistic missile tests
The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) has pledged not to test missiles and nuclear weapons, US President Donald Trump told the press following his meetings with DPRK leader Kim Jong-un in Hanoi on February 28.
Kim wants denuclearisation but there is a huge gap towards the target. He is willing to dismantle Yongbyon facility if sanctions are lifted, Trump said.
“But we have to have more than” dismantlement of the nuclear facility, he stressed, adding that trade sanctions will be removed only after full denuclearisation.
According to Trump, “it wasn’t appropriate to sign an agreement today”. However, it was very good and very friendly when he walked away from the summit.
The US President said he is now yet to think of next meeting with the DPRK leader but he hoped that it will take place soon.
Also at the press conference, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US asked for more, but Chairman Kim was unprepared to do that.
- Chinese premier Li Keqiang holds press conference at close of NPC
- Trump drops by United Nations climate summit
- When is Donald Trump’s next press conference and how can you watch live? Here’s all you need to know
- President Trump, Honor 9/11 By Getting the US Out of Afghanistan
- President Trump attends United Nations General Assembly
- John Bolton fired by President Trump today – live updates
- Opinion: Scaramucci was a symptom, but President Trump is the problem
- President Trump visits Ohio plant: Capitol Letter
- President Trump fires National Security Adviser John Bolton
- Read transcript of call between President Trump, Ukraine leader