The Vietnam Football Federation (VFF) is expected to start talks on a friendly match between the Vietnamese national team and Liverpool as part of the English Premier League side's summer tour this year.
Even though negotiations have yet to begin, it is likely that Liverpool will come to Vietnam and play with the national squad during The Reds' summer tour of 2019, VFF general secretary Le Hoai Anh confirmed to Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Thursday.
"As Liverpool will do their 2019 summer tour in Asia, VFF and its partners are contacting [the EPL club] to invite them to play in Vietnam," Anh said.
While VFF will lead the negotiations, all expenses to have Liverpool bring their players to Vietnam will be covered by businesses, according to the general secretary.
"We have yet to start any direct talks yet but we stand an excellent chance," Anh said.
"If Liverpool accept the invitation, they may come to Vietnam somewhere in the third week of May," Anh said, adding that the My Dinh National Stadium in Hanoi will be the venue for the game.
Rumors have already circulated that Vietnam has to pay some US$4.3 million to have The Reds play in Hanoi, but Anh said the figure is just "too enormous and inaccurate."
The VFF general secretary added top Vietnamese players including Quang Hai, Cong Phuong, Que Ngoc Hai and Duy Manh would be chosen for the Liverpool game.
Liverpool currently top the EPL standings with 57 points after 22 matches.
In 2013, local conglomerate Hoang Anh Gia Lai Group spent some VND50 billion ($2.15 million) inviting Arsenal to play a friendly game in Vietnam. Another EPL club, Manchester City, also played in the Southeast Asian country in 2015 at a cost of $2 million, covered by Vietnamese mogul Do Quang Hien.
- Vietnam football body accepts general secretary’s resignation
- English club Chelsea eye Vietnam football academy
- Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool want to 'create dreams' in Rome
- Football: Stars of national squad eligible to join Southeast Asian Games
- Promises, doubts linger ahead of last matches of Vietnam’s football league
- Claims John Henry thought Liverpool had 'overpaid' for Salah
- Vietnam head coach Park receives gift from PM ahead of return to RoK
- Mr. Hoang Van Phuc appointed Vietnam’s football coach
- Why Liverpool fans should be VERY excited about Keita
- Why Liverpool’s victory over Roma in 1984 was a glorious night with tragic consequences in more ways than one
- Vietnam’s top 10 sports stories for 2014
- Cancellation of men’s football in the 26th SEA Games – Like a joke
- PFA Player of the Year 2017-18: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah wins top award
- Mohamed Salah: Liverpool forward voted PFA Player of the Year 2017-18
- Z.com continues to be national football teams’ main sponsor
- Japanese tactician to lead Vietnam women’s national football team
- Liverpool Down Under: More important than football
- A new start for Vietnam’s national football team
- Liverpool v Roma: Are Italians being underestimated for Champions League semi?
- Vietnam’s football set out ambitious goals
Vietnam football federation says will invite Liverpool for summer game in Hanoi have 506 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at January 17, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.