(From left) Artist Nguyễn Thu Thủy, Ambassador Hasanthi Dissanayake and other guests contemplate the mosaic.
The mural was inaugurated on January 22 with participation of the Sri Lankan Embassy, city authorities, international artists and other foreign diplomats.
The mosaic (1.6m by 12m) depicts Lion Rock, a UNESCO world heritage site in Sigiriya and one of the most impressive landscapes of Sri Lanka.
The mosaic also presents a radiant peacock – a holy symbol in Sri Lankan epics – and a Ceylon leopard – a native species to Sri Lanka that is listed as endangered on the International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List.
Hanoians and tourists to the capital can learn about daily life in Sri Lanka through the mosaic’s depiction of fishermen and traditional Kandyan dance to pray for a good crop.
The artwork was designed by the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau and installed by artist Nguyễn Thu Thủy, an initiator of the Hanoi Ceramic Road, which – at 3,850m long – is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest ceramic mural in the world.
Sri Lankan Ambassador Hasanthi Dissanayake said she had a special love for Thủy’s Ceramic Road because the project brings art to the public and beautifies the city with traditional scenes of Vietnam.
“After more than three years working as Ambassador, now I can send the sentiment and friendship of Sri Lankan people to Vietnamese people through the mosaic reflecting the nature and culture of my country,” Dissanayake said.
“The Sri Lankan part of the Ceramic Road is a meaningful gift from the Ambassador and the Sri Lankan people to Hà Nội. It enhances mutual understanding between two countries and highlights their friendship,” Thủy said.
- The Walking Dead: Michonne trailer reflects on the nature of murder
- British artist creates world’s largest trading card mosaic with Pokémon cards
- Partition, 70 years on: Salman Rushdie, Kamila Shamsie and other writers reflect
- GameCity 2011: Video Games Step Deeper Into The Cultural Consciousness
- Protecting Nature on the Fly: Computer Algorithms, Laser Technology Characterize Biodiversity
- Protecting Nature on the Fly
- Avatars in Tuxes: Second Life Hosts Inaugural Ball
- Mosaic, the new game from the makers of Among the Sleep, is hiding an ARG
- INDUSTRY ANALYSIS Recognize Corporate Cultures at Outsourcing Facilities
- Analysis: The Nature Of Video Games, Or Pathways From