The statement is seen as an apparent attempt to stop the incident from impeding crucial trade talks with Beijing. Huawei Technologies Co Ltd’s chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, the 46-year-old daughter of the company’s founder, was detained in Canada on Dec. 1, the same day Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping dined together at the G20 summit in Buenos Aires. A White House official told Reuters Trump did not know about a U.S. request for her extradition from Canada before he met Xi and agreed to a 90-day truce in the brewing trade war. Meng’s arrest during a stopover in Vancouver, announced by the Canadian authorities on Wednesday, pummeled stock markets already nervous about tensions between the world’s two largest economies on fears the move could derail the planned trade talks. The arrest was made at Washington’s request as part of a U.S. investigation of an alleged scheme to use the global banking system to evade U.S. sanctions against Iran, according to people familiar with the probe. Another U.S. official told Reuters that while it was a Justice Department matter and not orchestrated in advance by the White House, the case could send a message that Washington is serious about… Read full this story
- White House Says It Was Snowing in D.C. on Night It Was Almost 50 Degrees Out
- White House proposes new guidelines for regulating AI use in a bid to limit authorities' overreach and provide fairness to the public
- White House makes push for paid family leave and child care reform
- White House tells North Korea they want to resume negotiations, national security adviser says
- Rudy Giuliani mixed White House role, personal business in cybersecurity
- When is White House Farm next on ITV and what happens in episode two?
- White House Weighs Kicking Out Sebastian Gorka
- White House formally notifies Congress of airstrike that killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani - two days after the military strike
- Iran threatens the WHITE HOUSE: Tehran ups the ante by promising a 'crushing and powerful retaliation on American soil' and US military sites and brands Donald Trump a 'terrorist in a suit' after he threatened to attack 52 Iranian targets
- 13 Former White House Press Secretaries, Foreign Service and Military Officials Call for the Return of Regular Press Briefings
White House, Trudeau seek to distance themselves from Huawei move have 389 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at December 6, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.