Ho Chi Minh City at night. Photo by Y Ho Nhu/VnExpress
The southern metropolis received 1.2 million international business arrivals and Hanoi more than 1.2 million last year, compared to 900,000 for Ho Chi Minh City and one million for Hanoi in 2016, according to a recent report compiled by MasterCard.
Last year saw 49.4 million business travelers, 14.8% of all overnight travelers, visiting Asia Pacific destinations. They stayed a total of 235 million nights and spent US$41.4 billion.
Their spending last year in Hanoi, Vietnam’s capital, was US$385 million, and Ho Chi Minh City, the nation’s biggest city, US$661 million.
MasterCard ranks 160 destinations out of 23 markets in the Asia-Pacific and gets the data primarily from national tourism boards in each market.
Shanghai topped the ranking, followed by Tokyo and Singapore.
Of all international arrivals, Ho Chi Minh City ranked 17th in the Asia-Pacific with 4.6 million visitors in 2017 and Hanoi ranked 20th with 3.7 million visitors. Thailand’s Bangkok topped the list, drawing 20.1 million foreign arrivals last year.
In August, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City made it to the top 15 destinations in Asia in a ranking by the US News. The ranking considered local prices, accessibility and the variety of attractions in each destination along with travelers’ feedback, and put Hanoi in 14th place followed by Ho Chi Minh City.
In the Economist Intelligence Unit’s recent ranking of Ho Chi Minh Citythe world’s most livable cities Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City were among the top five improvers.
Earlier this year Vietnam’s two biggest cities were named among the 10 cheapest cities Ho Chi Minh City in Southeast Asia. Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi were ninth and seventh respectively on the Cost of Living Index 2018 compiled by Numbeo, the world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide..
- Bank makes plans to address Asia, Pacific issues
- Bank to focus on changing needs of Asia, Pacific
- 'Amazing' city restaurant closes after 10 years in business
- Celebrate 10 years: Indian Business Chamber
- AUF Rector and Asia Pacific Regional Director to visit Vanuatu
- Turkish defense industry to ink over 10 deals at leading Asia-Pacific fair
- KFC Guam team wins KFC Asia Pacific Competition in Kuala Lumpur
- UPDATE: Russian cbank says to repeat auction for Asia-Pacific Bank ‘20
- Russian watchdog clears 2 banks to buy Asia-Pacific Bank
- Vanuatu to host ICC Women’s World T20 East Asia Pacific Qualifier