The new year is closing in and vacation enthusiasts around the world have made travel plans, and South Korean travelers have shown great interest in the central Vietnamese city.
Da Nang, home to Asia’s beautiful My Khe Beach and a neighbor to popular ancient town Hoi An, came ninth on the list of 10 best places to welcome the New Year based on the booking data for December 31 collected by global online accommodation reservation provider Agoda.
Japan’s Osaka topped the list, followed by Tokyo, Fukuoka, Taipei, and Bangkok.
Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines have been the most popular destinations for South Koreans this winter, based on booking increases for December, Yonhap reported citing prominent Korean travel agency Hanoi Tour.
South Koreans have become among the biggest groups of visitors to Vietnam in recent years. In the first 11 months of this year 3.1 million of them came to the country, a 46.5 percent year-on-year increase, according to the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism.
A 15-day visa waiver for South Korean tourists and frequent direct flights between Da Nang and South Korea’s major cities have contributed to making Vietnam’s third largest city a top draw for Koreans.
It has gained greater prominence since its Golden Bridge opened in June this year.
The Golden Bridge in Da Nang City is seen from above. Photo by Shutterstocks/Tonkin
The visually stunning bridge has featured in CNN’s best travel photographs of the year.
Once a sleepy fishing town, Da Nang is now a tourism boom city, gaining renown for its long beaches and upscale resorts.
- Magic mushrooms will bloom in UK on New Year's Day due to rising temperatures
- Performance marks a new year
- Police name man killed in New Year's Day crash near Sheffield church
- Madonna gives surprise New Year’s Eve performance with her son David Banda in New York
- New Year's celebrations begin as New Zealand and Australia welcome 2019
- North and South Korean soldiers cross border to check disarmament moves
- Community Spotlight: The South Korean entrepreneurs
- South Korean paid million dollars to own real estate in Vietnam
- Kim Jong Un issues new threat to Trump in New Year message from North Korea
- 2019 is nearly here! The world gets ready to see in the new year