A mobile device for treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome is exhibited at Taiwan Expo in HCM City (Photo: VNA) HCM City (VNS/VNA) – An estimated 800,000 people in Vietnam suffer from obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS), which requires expensive polysomnography and respiratory polygraphy screening tests. Duong Quy Sy, Chairman of the ASEAN Sleep Federation, said that polygraphy tests record patients’ brain waves, oxygen level in the blood, heart rate, breathing, and eye and leg movements. Speaking at a conference on sleep medicine held last weekend at Pham Ngoc Thach University of Medicine, Sy said: “OSA is a serious pathology and major risk factor for cardiovascular diseases.” The serious sleep disorder impairs quality of life, as well as intellectual and professional performances, and can also lead to accidents in the workplace and in traffic, he added. “Untreated OSAS increases the rate of road traffic accidents and work-related and domestic accidents because patients often fall asleep or experience severe daytime drowsiness while driving,” Sy said. A single road accident due to sleepiness caused by OSAS can incur considerable health costs, he said, adding that undiagnosed OSAS leads to higher medical costs. “Family medicine clinics should screen patients to find out if they have a… Read full this story
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Down Syndrome
- Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea – What’s the Difference?
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea - Causes, Symptoms and Treatments
- Sleep Apnea Treatment
- Sleep Apnea Linked to Diabetic Eye Disease
- Sleep Apnea - 7 Tips To Help You Sleep
- Just How Successful is CPAP when It Comes To Treating Childhood Sleep Apnea?
- Sleep Apnea Symptoms Are Not Always Easy To Recognize
- How to Rescue Yourself from Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Apnea Is Both A Widespread and Sometimes Fatal Sleep Disorder
800,000 Vietnamese suffer from obstructive sleep apnea syndrome have 292 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at December 17, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.