The show will reflect parts of Hanoi street life
Highlights of the 30-minute special include:
The Old Quarter
One of the most unique perspectives to view Hanoi may just be from the seat of a side-car buzzing through the city streets. CNN meets Steve Christensen, an American graphic designer who has lived in Hanoi for over 20 years and gives sidecar tours of the city as his side job. CNN rides along with Steve to get a glimpse of the famous 36 streets and his favorite street in Hanoi’s Old Quarter, where dozens of streets are named for specific crafts which were once practiced there.
Hang Ma street
Ta Hien Street
Beer culture in Hanoi dates to 1890 when the first beer brewing factory was established. CNN meets Tấn, a Hanoi local, and Brett, an Aussie expat in Vietnam, who are known for organizing one of the most popular beer tours in the city teaching locals and visitors about Hanoi’s famous cold brew Bia hoi, a beer for the people with a history dating back to wartime. CNN visits Ta Hien Street with Tấn and Brett to get to the bottom of the beer history.
Cha Ca Street
Vietnam’s incredible food culture is pride worthy. In Hanoi, cha ca is an iconic and delicious fish dish not to be missed – in fact there is an entire street named after it. CNN travels along Cha Ca Street in search for this local specialty with one of the Hanoi’s top chefs and enters the doors of Chả Cá Lã Vọng, the city’s oldest restaurant.
Hoang Hoa Tham (Bonsai Street)
This tree lined street with plenty of shade, named after nationalist hero Hoang Hoa Tham, is said to be one of Hanoi’s prettiest streets. It spans over 3 kilometres and is full of local vendors selling flowers and bonsai trees. CNN visits the street with local resident Vân Anh, who used to cycle through the road every day on her way to secondary school. ‘Street Life Hanoi’ also visits the bird market and the Saturday antique market to see why this street is considered Hanoi’s prettiest.
As one of the most famous streets in Hanoi during the French colonial period, this street was once called the Champs Elysees of Indochina. On this street, the famous Opera House exemplifies the French influence, and it is said that Charlie Chaplin spent his honeymoon in the Metropole Hotel which is right off the street. CNN gets a guided tour of the area with very special tour guides: Hanoi Kids, a free tour group which is run by student volunteers.
‘Street Life Hanoi’ is produced by CNN Vision, the global creative production powerhouse of CNN International, which brings the world’s breath-taking diversity into cinematic focus, telling stories that inspire audiences around the world.
‘Street Life Hanoi’ trailer: https://cnn.it/2RBctJF
‘Street Life Hanoi’ images: https://bit.ly/2O6g2oW
The 30-minute special ‘Street Life Hanoi’ airs at the following times:
Saturday, 10th November at 2130 HKT
Sunday, 11th November at 0030 HKT, 0430 HKT and 0930 HKT
Monday, 12th November at 0900 HKT and 1230 HKT
Wednesday, 14th November at 1730 HKT
Thursday, 22th November at 1730 HKT
- 'They failed those athletes': CNN Sport correspondents on coronavirus' impact on sport
- Voters face potential life-or-death choices in states with limited absentee voting
- Adam Thomas' wife Caroline looks incredible in a tiny white bikini as she reflects on her 30th birthday celebrations at home during lockdown
- Cudweed cake: a must-try dish in Hanoi
- Coronation Street cast reunite for boozy virtual get-together in fancy dress as they stay connected while production is halted amid the COVID-19 pandemic
- 'Anybody who says they're not scared during this is lying to you.' A day in the life of paramedics in a pandemic
- EU football joins hands to give Vietnamese street kids a leg up
- Vietnamese students paint pictures of life during Covid-19
- UEFA and Blue Dragon team up to help street kids in Vietnam
- UEFA, Blue Dragon team up to help street kids in Vietnam
- Amanda Holden EXCLUSIVE: Star admits she spent an 'excruciating' afternoon playing Simon Cowell her upcoming album... as she releases soulful single to raise funds for NHS
- Life term upheld for former minister in TV firm acquisition scandal
- Coronation Street spoilers: Yasmeen terrified in prison as she’s charged with attempted murder
- Boris 'in properly good nick' as he storms back into Downing Street amid wry smiles from ministers as the cabinet ditch Zoom to welcome him back in person despite social distancing rules
- HENRY DEEDES: Boris Johnson is a man still adjusting to life after a terrifying brush with death's pale rider
- 'Natalie Wood: What Remains Behind' celebrates her life, but falters in places
- Who is Kelly Neelan in Coronation Street? Millie Gibson’s character could expose Gary’s killer secret
- The Chelsea Hotel Gets a Second Life
- Coronavirus live updates: SF temporarily bans cars on key streets in Golden Gate, McLaren parks
- Coronavirus live updates: SF bans cars on key streets in Golden Gate, McLaren parks
Upcoming show on CNN reflects Hanoi street life have 905 words, post on www.hanoitimes.vn at November 9, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.