The show will reflect parts of Hanoi street life
Highlights of the 30-minute special include:
The Old Quarter
One of the most unique perspectives to view Hanoi may just be from the seat of a side-car buzzing through the city streets. CNN meets Steve Christensen, an American graphic designer who has lived in Hanoi for over 20 years and gives sidecar tours of the city as his side job. CNN rides along with Steve to get a glimpse of the famous 36 streets and his favorite street in Hanoi’s Old Quarter, where dozens of streets are named for specific crafts which were once practiced there.
Hang Ma street
Ta Hien Street
Beer culture in Hanoi dates to 1890 when the first beer brewing factory was established. CNN meets Tấn, a Hanoi local, and Brett, an Aussie expat in Vietnam, who are known for organizing one of the most popular beer tours in the city teaching locals and visitors about Hanoi’s famous cold brew Bia hoi, a beer for the people with a history dating back to wartime. CNN visits Ta Hien Street with Tấn and Brett to get to the bottom of the beer history.
Cha Ca Street
Vietnam’s incredible food culture is pride worthy. In Hanoi, cha ca is an iconic and delicious fish dish not to be missed – in fact there is an entire street named after it. CNN travels along Cha Ca Street in search for this local specialty with one of the Hanoi’s top chefs and enters the doors of Chả Cá Lã Vọng, the city’s oldest restaurant.
Hoang Hoa Tham (Bonsai Street)
This tree lined street with plenty of shade, named after nationalist hero Hoang Hoa Tham, is said to be one of Hanoi’s prettiest streets. It spans over 3 kilometres and is full of local vendors selling flowers and bonsai trees. CNN visits the street with local resident Vân Anh, who used to cycle through the road every day on her way to secondary school. ‘Street Life Hanoi’ also visits the bird market and the Saturday antique market to see why this street is considered Hanoi’s prettiest.
As one of the most famous streets in Hanoi during the French colonial period, this street was once called the Champs Elysees of Indochina. On this street, the famous Opera House exemplifies the French influence, and it is said that Charlie Chaplin spent his honeymoon in the Metropole Hotel which is right off the street. CNN gets a guided tour of the area with very special tour guides: Hanoi Kids, a free tour group which is run by student volunteers.
‘Street Life Hanoi’ is produced by CNN Vision, the global creative production powerhouse of CNN International, which brings the world’s breath-taking diversity into cinematic focus, telling stories that inspire audiences around the world.
‘Street Life Hanoi’ trailer: https://cnn.it/2RBctJF
‘Street Life Hanoi’ images: https://bit.ly/2O6g2oW
The 30-minute special ‘Street Life Hanoi’ airs at the following times:
Saturday, 10th November at 2130 HKT
Sunday, 11th November at 0030 HKT, 0430 HKT and 0930 HKT
Monday, 12th November at 0900 HKT and 1230 HKT
Wednesday, 14th November at 1730 HKT
Thursday, 22th November at 1730 HKT
- Alex Trebek Opens Up About Upcoming Memoir, ‘The Answer Is…: Reflections On My Life’
- Debbie Harry says memoir reflects a ‘full life’
- Hanoi’s Da Nang returnees live with increasing dread of Covid-19
- Hanoi exhibition shows multiple faces of life
- Rising income, changing taste: Can Hanoi’s craft beer and 'bia hoi' comfortably coexist?
- Thanh Chuong Mansion: Artistic architecture work in Hanoi
- Hanoi orders closure of bars, karaoke venues and roadside stalls
- 'There's no way to have 100% security': Federal judge reflects on violent threats 15 years after losing loved ones
- Four mayors reflect on their evolving response to the coronavirus pandemic
- EXCLUSIVE 'Not seeing friends and family was hard': Lucy Mecklenburgh reflects on life as a new mum during lockdown and says BFF Lydia Bright has been a constant support
- WHO leader is stuck between feuding China and US. It's a situation 'rock star' Tedros has spent his life preparing for
- Coronation Street's Colson Smith continues to showcase his impressive weight loss with mirror selfie as he heads for another day of filming on the soap
- Children’s book fair opens at HCMC book street
- Dancing On Ice: Coronation Street’s Sally Dyvenor, Hollyoaks' Carley Stenson and RHOC's Dawn Ward join slew of TV stars battling it out at auditions for upcoming series
- Carrie Underwood gives fans a first look at her upcoming Christmas album titled My Gift: 'So much love has gone into this'
- Barack, Michelle Obama reflect on how they used elite education and access to help empower their communities in podcast
- Exhibition shows multiple faces of life
- The sound of the Streets
- Britons across the country kneel on their doorsteps in support of George Floyd after tens of thousands took to the streets in growing racism protests
- Coronation Street: Leanne Battersby’s deep shame explained as she lies about Oliver’s illness
Upcoming show on CNN reflects Hanoi street life have 903 words, post on www.hanoitimes.vn at November 9, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.