Michigan Republicans and Democrats praised the life of former U.S. President George H.W. Bush on Saturday, describing him as compassionate, principled and willing to reach across the aisle in politics. The 41st president of the United States died Friday night in Houston. He was 94. His wife of more than 70 years, Barbara Bush, died in April. “He was a great person who served his nation not only in the military and as President, but as a role model for all of us. His commitments to family and country before, during, and after his presidency were inspiring,” Gov. Rick Snyder, who ordered the lowering of flags statewide for 30 days to honor the former president, tweeted Saturday. Bush, a World War II veteran, former CIA director and international ambassador, was known for his role in ending the Cold War and driving Iraqi forces out of Kuwait during his 1989 to 1993 presidency. The Yale graduate and Texas resident saw his son, who bears the same first name as him, elected to the nation’s highest office in 2000 and re-elected in 2004. More: A ‘fine letter to be remembered by’: Read George H.W. Bush’s gracious letter to Bill Clinton Democrats, including both of Michigan’s U.S. senators, released statements showing respect for… Read full this story
- "How is 41?" Family offers update on President George H.W. Bush
- Former President George H.W. Bush lies in state — live updates
- My unforgettable lunch with President George H.W. Bush in the White House
- George Bush, Soul Man? Footage From His Inauguration Concert Is Restored
- Colorado leaders react to passing of former President George H.W. Bush
- 9/11 anniversary – Candid pictures show President George W Bush reacting to horror of Twin Towers collapse in days after attack
- Fort Worth leaders, friends recall former President George H.W. Bush as ‘warm, caring’
- Bob Dole explains his final salute to President George H.W. Bush
- Former President George H.W. Bush Discharged From Houston Hospital
- Texas A&M students share fondest memories of President George H. W. Bush in Washington D.C.
Michiganders reflect on the life and legacy of former President George H.W. Bush have 350 words, post on www.freep.com at November 30, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.