Health officers have revealed on November 19 that over 200 children tested positive with the Salmonella virus type 2 after they ate buffet and fell ill at Xuan Non Nursery School in Hanoi. Examining an ill child On November 15, many children at Xuan Non Nursery School developed diarrhoea, fever and abdominal cramps. Over the next 12 hours, 140 more children were admitted to hospital with similar symptoms. Two teachers were also poisoned.Nguyen Thi Nga, head of Xuan Non Nursery School, said the children attended a buffet at school with sausage, beef, sticky rice, vegetables, orange juice, lemonade and cakes. The food was prepared by Bao Tan Company in Dong Anh Town.Dong Anh District General Hospital received 96 children and Bac Thang Long Hospital received 46 children. Hanoi Department of Health asked Dong Da General Hospital to provide support. Two serious cases were transferred to the National Hospital of Tropical Diseases.According to Tran Ngoc Tu, director of the Hanoi Food Safety and Hygiene Department, samples tested at the National Hospital of Tropical Diseases show that the children were suffering from the Salmonella virus type 2. This virus can cause intestinal infections and patients often have abdominal pains or diarrhoea. The patients are mostly infected through contaminated water or food.”After three days, over 100 children are still being treated and monitored at Dong Anh District General Hospital, Bac Thang Long Hospital, Vietnam National Children’s Hospital and National Hospital of Tropical Diseases,” Tu said.