WASHINGTON: The Pentagon is expected to deploy about 800 troops to the US-Mexico border, two US officials told AFP on Thursday (Oct 26), after President Donald Trump said the military would help tackle a “national emergency” and called on a caravan of migrants to “turnaround.”The active-duty troops would augment the 2,000 or so National Guardsmen already deployed to support operations on the border, and could come from multiple military bases around the US.Defence Secretary Jim Mattis was expected to sign orders either on Thursday or Friday for the new deployment, one official said.The troops would include doctors and engineers and would be used mainly to provide logistical support including tents, vehicles and equipment.The official said the troops would satisfy elements of a “wish list” for military assistance sent to the Pentagon by the Department of Homeland Security, the US agency with responsibility for the border.Trump tweeted that “Democrat inspired” laws make it difficult to stop people at the border.”I am bringing out the military for this National Emergency. They will be stopped!” he said.In April, Trump said he would send thousands of National Guard troops to the southern border.That initial authorisation allowed for about 4,000 Guardsmen to be sent to the… Read full this story
- Pentagon authorizes USD 1 billion to build Trump-proposed part of US-Mexico border
- Gaetz: My Constituents Question Congress Concerns over Russia-Ukraine Instead of U.S.-Mexico Border
- US President Trump says '100%' ready to shut down Mexico border, warns Congress to take action on immigration
- Apprehensions at the US-Mexico border continue to decline
- 2020 Democrats challenge Trump's use of troops at Mexico border
- Leaked letter reveals Trump DID want to build a trench alongside the U.S.-Mexico border wall - but Pentagon said it would cost too much before he denied claim that he wanted 'moat stuffed with alligators and snakes'
- Man known as King of the Gypsies offers to build Donald Trump’s Mexico border wall at a ‘low price’ because Roma are ‘skilled craftsmen in iron’
- Travelers mull safety amid Arizona-Mexico border violence
- Drug Cartels Use Undocumented Migrants to Distract Patrols at US-Mexico Border
- US planning a steel barrier rather than concrete wall on Mexico border: Trump
Pentagon to send about 800 troops to US-Mexico border have 372 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at October 25, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.