Le Quang Vinh, deputy head of the Central Party’s Office. Photo: VietnamNet
All 175 members of the party’s Central Committee present at the eighth plenum agreed to nominate the party chief to take the position, Le Quang Vinh, deputy head of the Central Party’s Office, said at a press meeting on Saturday.
The nomination of the 74-year-old party leader as state president came after the death of president Tran Dai Quang last month.
The nomination will be subject to a vote at the upcoming sitting of the National Assembly which will convene on October 22.
Holding two positions as party chief and state president of a country is quite normal in many nations in the world, Vinh said.
Vinh noted that the party’s office and the president’s office will continue working independently if Trong is elected president.
In another move, Trong will take the lead of the personnel and document sub-committees preparing for the party’s 13th National Congress which is scheduled for 2021, local media quoted Bui Truong Giang, deputy head of the Central Propaganda Committee.
According to Giang, at the eighth plenum, the Central Committee passed the Resolution on Strategy for Vietnam’s Marine Economy to 2030 and vision to 2045, the economic and budget targets for 2018 and targets for 2019. The committee also decided to issue regulations on responsibilities of senior party members and the establishment of sub-committees serving for the 13th Nationa
- Party Chief starts official visit to France
- HCMC Deputy Party chief removed from all position, over 60 cadres disciplined since 2016
- Vietnam nominates party chief as new president
- Vietnam's party chief Nguyen Phu Trong sworn in as the new President
- Workers' Party appoints new office bearers, former party chief Low Thia Khiang not holding any post
- Asia's biggest Halloween party is in Hong Kong, where people are being arrested for wearing masks
- Foreign friends pay homage to former Party chief Đỗ Mười
- French primary vote to leave two in running for Socialist presidential nomination
- Party chief, President shares children’s joy on Mid-Autumn Festival
- Antonio Carpio accepts Supreme Court chief justice nomination