High water levels during the flood season have divided many areas of the Mekong delta province of Long An. Many routes have been submerged, making it hard for children to get to school. For almost two months now, local children have had to wake up early and travel to school by boat.
At 6am, these pupils and their parents climb aboard motorboats in front of their houses to travel to school. The small boats run through the middle of a flooded field, where it is impossible to make out the edges.
The path to school contains many risks for pupils and their parents.
Vinh Dai is one of the lowest-lying localities in the Dong Thap Muoi wetlands of the Mekong Delta. Over the past few days, floods have continuously increased, inundating not only roads, but schoolyards too.
Although sandbags have been placed along school playgrounds to create a pathway for pupils, it is not entirely safe with children often falling down in the surrounding waters.
It is not only Vinh Dai, but many other localities in Long An province that have also been going through similar disruptions.
Across the locality, there are still many sites where there are no bridges over canals and boats are the main means of transport. As flood waters have risen, children’s lives have been put at risk and consequently, greater attention should be paid to ensure safety for them. –VNA
- Parents launch legal action to stop Catholic school academy plan
- Mother-of-four who believes in ‘unschooling’ denies she’s 'neglectful' for letting her children choose what to learn and eat – and claims it makes them MORE hard-working
- My generation trashed the planet. So I salute the children striking back
- More than 300 English primary schools forced to become academies
- What the hell happened to the Boxcar Children’s parents?
- Lesson in love! Caretaker marries in front of 500 pupils, teachers and parents at the primary school where she's worked for 27 years
- School whistle-blower, 35, says she was labelled a ‘grass’ and fired after reporting an abusive teacher who was later sacked
- India declares a pollution health emergency and orders schools to close as Angela Merkel meets PM Narendra Modi in thick smog
- Newly divorced mother, 39, shot dead her three children all aged under 12 before turning the weapon on herself
- Ronda Rousey donates UFC title belt to Brazilian children’s judo school