BUFFALO, N.Y., Oct. 29, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Athenex, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATNX), a global biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of novel therapies for the treatment of cancer and related conditions, announced today that the FDA has allowed the Investigational New Drug (IND) application for Athenex’s oral version of Eribulin currently named Eribulin ORA.
/EIN News/ — This FDA action allows Athenex to commence its clinical trial program, currently planned for first half of 2019. Eribulin, an effective treatment for metastatic breast cancer and liposarcoma, is currently limited to intravenous administration. Utilizing Athenex’s proprietary Orascovery platform with Eribulin, we were able to demonstrate that good oral absorption of Eribulin is possible, based on preclinical studies. In addition, the Eribulin active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) has been developed internally using a novel synthetic approach. We believe these developments demonstrate the broad utility of the Orascovery platform and commitment of Athenex to becoming a major global oncology biopharmaceutical company.
Dr. Michael Smolinski, Athenex’s Head of Preclinical Research, commented, “Athenex is delighted that the FDA has allowed the IND of Eribulin ORA. The demonstration of a favorable pharmacokinetic profile, with lowered peak plasma concentration and longer duration of the drug within the desired plasma concentration range, provides the potential for a better efficacy and an improved safety profile for Eribulin, similar to what we have observed with Oraxol (oral form of paclitaxel) and others. We have also developed a novel and efficient synthetic process for Eribulin with an excellent purity profile. This is the eighth US IND allowance that Athenex has obtained, reflecting the passion and dedication of the company to bringing new therapies to cancer patients.”
Eribulin is an anticancer drug marketed by Eisai Company under the trade name Halaven. It is used to treat certain patients with breast cancer and liposarcoma. Eribulin is a synthetic derivative of the natural product Halichondrin B. The potent anticancer effects of this agent come primarily from its unique means of targeting microtubule dynamics, a process critical to cell proliferation.
Dr. Rudolf Kwan, Athenex’s Chief Medical Officer, stated, “Eribulin is approved for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer patients who have received at least two prior chemotherapy regimens for late-stage disease, including both anthracycline- and taxane-based chemotherapies. It is important to note that Eribulin is active in paclitaxel resistant tumors. This profile is expected to create a number of synergistic opportunities with the other drug candidates in our Orascovery clinical pipeline. We look forward to initiating the Phase I clinical studies soon.”
The lead compound in Athenex’s Orascovery program, Oraxol, is currently in a pivotal Phase III study. The Orascovery platform was developed by Hanmi Pharmaceuticals and licensed exclusively to Athenex for all major worldwide territories except Korea, which is retained by Hanmi.
About Athenex, Inc. www.athenex.com.
Forward-Looking Statement http://ir.athenex.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=254495&p=irol-sec or upon request from our Investor Relations Department. All information provided in this release is as of the date hereof and we assume no obligation and do not intend to update these forward-looking statements, except as required by law.
- UK Government signs '£500million' deal with drug giants GlaxoSmithKline and Sanofi for 60million doses of fourth potential coronavirus vaccine - even though it hasn't been tested on humans yet
- Imperial College coronavirus vaccine will enter second round of human trials in 200 volunteers from London hospitals after safely passing first tests amid building hopes of a jab against the disease
- ‘Today Is A Day Of Hope’: Vice President Mike Pence During Visit To University Of Miami Marking Beginning Of Phase 3 COVID-19 Vaccine Trials
- Pfizer kicks off its 30,000-person coronavirus vaccine trial in the hopes of submitting for FDA approval by OCTOBER
- Britain announces 19 more coronavirus deaths in preliminary toll — taking the official number of victims to 45,897
- Pfizer and BioNTech begin large-scale trial of coronavirus vaccine in the United States
- UK announces 684 more coronavirus victims: Total death toll reaches 3,605 and more than 38,000 people have now tested positive for the infection as Matt Hancock warns there could be 1,000 deaths per DAY by Easter
- US revokes emergency use of drugs touted by Trump vs. virus
- Study of coronavirus patients treated with an antibody drug used for cancer patients found some went from needing oxygen to being discharged from the hospital in FIVE DAYS
- The Latest: FDA warns Americans of toxic hand sanitizers
- Madeleine McCann suspect launches new bid to walk free: Christian Brueckner seeks early release from drugs sentence just two days after scrapping first appeal
- Spotlight: Human trials for COVID-19 vaccine underway in India
Athenex Announces FDA Allowance of Investigational New Drug Application of Eribulin ORA to Begin Clinical Trials have 757 words, post on world.einnews.com at October 29, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.