U.S.The crackling barrage of incoming enemy gunfire pinned down three U.S. Marines that laid wounded in the mud, screaming for help and medical attention.It was 1968 and the Tet Offensive was raging as American Forces moved to retake Huế city, located in central Vietnam on the banks of the Perfume River. Ten thousand North Vietnamese and Vietcong troops seized the heart of the city, turning houses and streets into bunkered positions.South Vietnamese and U.S. forces were unprepared for the large-scale assault that forced the Marines into the first major urban combat the United States had seen since the Korean War.Marines nearby attempted to rescue their wounded brothers, but the barrage of bullets and rocket-propelled grenades kept them from advancing toward them—that was until, “Gunny” walked in.Recommended Slideshows7650 Highest Paying Jobs in the United States80In Pictures: Top 50 U.S. Cities Ranked by Quality of Life And Average Salary7675 Best-Selling Albums in U.S. History“So they hear a noise and they look back and there’s Canley. He’s walking down, upright, not running, walks over the little berm, picks up the first guy, throws him over his shoulder and walks back,” John Ligato, a former Marine and FBI agent told Newsweek. “So there’s two independent eyewitnesses on… Read full this story
- Scuba Diving the Vietnam War's last battleground, Koh Tang Cambodia
- Vietnam War, the War in Iraq and the Global War on Terrorism
- America Goes to War - The battle for An Nasiriyah
- Rhymes of an Ordnance Man [Vietnam War: 1971]
- EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) Heals a Vietnam War Veteran in a Matter of Hours!
- The Ford Reflex has just Received the Honor of being named Specialty Concept Vehicle of the Year
- Host Wars! The Battle of Space (Disk Space)
- Mariner Receives Upgrade for 2008 Model Year
- Snooze Wars: The Battle Between The Sheets
- The Vietnam Wall
Who Is John Canley? U.S. Marine to Receive Medal of Honor for Heroics During One of Vietnam War's Bloodiest Battles have 321 words, post on www.newsweek.com at September 25, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.