Tech companies rushed to help out as Hurricane Florence made landfall in North Carolina.
“The Carolinas are in our hearts. To our employees there, first responders and everyone in Hurricane Florence’s path, please stay safe. To help those affected, Apple is donating $1M to the Red Cross,” he wrote.
The company regularly donates to charities following natural disasters, 9to5Mac notes. In 2017, it gave $5 million for Hurricane Harvey relief (in addition to accepting customers’ donations via iTunes) and $1 million to help deal with the California wildfires (it did so again last month).
“Free calling, text and data for Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia Verizon Wireless customers impacted by Hurricane Florence from 9/14-9/17,” the company tweeted early Friday. It’s also allowing customers to donate to the Red Cross via text.
The Facebook community activated Safety Check for Hurricane Florence at early Friday, the company noted, days after it extended the feature to the Lite version of its app.
Hurricane Florence hit the coast near Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, early Friday, leaving at least 490,000 homes and businesses without power. Nearly 1,500 flights are canceled through Saturday.
The Weather Channel used augmented reality to demonstrate a “worst-case scenario,” showing what would happen if the storm surge rose to six and nine feet.
Taking It to Extremes: Mix insane situations — erupting volcanoes, nuclear meltdowns, 30-foot waves — with everyday tech. Here’s what happens.
Fight the Power: Take a look at who’s transforming the way we think about energy.
- Apple donates $1M to Indonesia earthquake and tsunami relief efforts
- Hurricane Florence: infant, children and pets evacuated from North Carolina hotel after roof blew off
- Latest Hurricane Florence spaghetti model, path and forecast shows where storm could go after Carolinas
- Apple pledges $1M to Red Cross as Hurricane Florence makes landfall
- Apple opens iTunes donations for Hurricane Harvey relief
- Tim Cook announces Apple will donate to coronavirus relief efforts
- Apple to donate to Australian bush fire relief efforts
- Celebs and Tennis Legends to Play in Event for Hurricane Dorian Relief Efforts in the Bahamas
- Hurricane Dorian: Time To Prepare Virginia Homes, Families
- Coast Guard official accused of making "white power" hand sign during live Florence broadcast
- Hurricane Elsa path tracker LIVE: Tropical Storm kills 3 as it heads towards Florida
- The Lazarus heist: How North Korea almost pulled off a billion-dollar hack
- Storm ‘Has Never Been More Dangerous,’ Governor Warns
- The Disasters That Keep the Experts Up at Night
- How America Outlawed Adolescence
- The Most Efficient Way to Save a Life
- Reddest congressional districts in America
- The county with the most severe weather in every state
- Major damage to Alabama mobile home park amid tropical storm
- NHL Power Rankings: Teams with best long-term outlook
Apple donates $1M to Red Cross as Hurricane Florence slams North Carolina have 492 words, post on www.cnet.com at September 14, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.