POLITICS 08/27/2018 03:30 pm ET Col. Tran Trong Duyet also praised McCain’s contributions to U.S.-Vietnamese relations. By David Barden Sen. John McCain, who died Saturday at the age of 81, has been remembered for his “toughness and strong stance” by the former director of the Vietnamese prison where he was held as a prisoner of war for five and a half years. Col. Tran Trong Duyet told Vietnam News that he felt “very sad” upon learning of the death of the decorated war hero. McCain was held in captivity by the North Vietnamese in Hoa Lo Prison, nicknamed the “Hanoi Hilton” by American POWs, after his plane was shot down in October 1967 during a bombing mission over Hanoi. McCain was subjected to repeated beatings and interrogations while being held captive and sustained lifelong injuries that prevented him from raising his arms above his head. “I had a lot of time meeting him when he was kept in the prison,” Duyet said. “At that time I liked him personally for his toughness and strong stance. Later on, when he became a U.S. Senator, he and Senator John Kerry greatly contributed to promote Vietnam-U.S. relations so I was very fond of him.” Duyet… Read full this story
- Lawyer group: Trump adds ex-prosecutor to impeachment team
- American corporations relocate to Vietnam as costs rise in other locations
- Cindy McCain says Arizona Republicans' censure for failing to support Donald Trump is a 'badge of honor' as GOP also denounces critics Gov. Doug Ducey and former Sen. Jeff Flake
- John Legend puts on a VERY dapper display in a white blazer and bow-tie as he leads the glamorous arrivals at the swanky 71st Monaco Red Cross Ball Gala
- The GameStop saga is captivating Wall Street — for good reason
- Goldie Hawn's ex Bill Hudson says she 'poisoned' their son and film star daughter Kate Hudson against him and vows to 'break all ties with them'
- Bachelorette star Dale Moss' sister defends him in Instagram comments after 'tough last few weeks'... amid cheating accusations from ex Clare Crawley
- VIETNAM NEWS JANUARY 27
- It’s all just a ride in Vietnam
- Reporters pin high hopes on Vietnam’s future
John McCain's Ex-Jailer In Vietnam Remembers His 'Toughness' In Captivity have 354 words, post on www.huffingtonpost.com at August 27, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.