If nothing else, this year’s Peabody Awards are bringing attention to dicks, both literal and figurative. Among the 60 nominees announced today are Netflix’s penis-obsessed American Vandal and Vice News Tonight’s “Charlottesville: Race & Terror,” which deals with other types of dicks.
The 77th annual awards honor the best storytelling in “electronic media,” which includes everything from TV shows to podcasts to web videos to documentaries and more, all of which are separated into categories (children’s & youth programming, documentary, entertainment, news, public service, and radio/podcast). Sadly, that means American Vandal won’t go head-to-head with Vice News Tonight, but we had a good time with that, didn’t we?
Highlights and surprises on the entertainment side include Halt And Catch Fire, Legion, One Day At A Time, The Handmaid’s Tale, Star Trek: Discovery, The Good Place, and Insecure. In docs, Last Men In Aleppo and City Of Ghosts are notable inclusions, and of course there’s Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine too. On the podcast front, S-Town and Ear Hustle scored nominations, presumably because The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project didn’t fit the eligibility window. A full list of nominees is below.
Awards begin April 17, when documentary winners are announced. Entertainment and kids’ winners follow April 19, with news/radio/public service on April 24. Winners will be honored at a ceremony May 19 hosted by The Daily Show’s Hasan Minahj, whose stand-up special, Homecoming King, also earned a nomination in the entertainment category. The Peabodys will also announce its first ever Career Achievement Award on Thursday of this week.
77th Peabody Awards nominees:
DOCUMENTARYAbacus: Small Enough To JailAmerica ReFramed: DeejChasing CoralCity Of GhostsHeroin(e)“I Have A Message For You” IndivisibleLast Men In AleppoMaya Angelou: And Still I RiseMotherlandNewtownPlanet Earth IIStrong IslandThe Bad KidsThe Defiant OnesThe Islands And The WhalesTime: The Kalief Browder StoryOklahoma City
ENTERTAINMENT Alias Grace American Vandal Bala Loca Better Call Saul Halt And Catch Fire Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King Insecure Jazz Night In America Last Week Tonight With John Oliver Legion One Day At A Time Saturday Night Live: Political Satire 2017 Star Trek: Discovery The Good Place The Handmaid’s Tale The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
NEWS20/20Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel: The Strongman-Ramzan Kadyrov,” HBO Sports 60 Minutes60 Minutes
RADIO/PODCASTEar HustleLost Mothers: Maternal Mortality In the U.S.74 Seconds S-TownSeeing WhiteThe Pope’s Long ConThe View From Room 205Uncivil: The Raid
- Town Crier for Aug. 5, 2018
- Ratings and Review: The 2017 Honda CR-V is evolutionary, not revolutionary, and that’s a good thing
- Bridgton reopens town beach after lake water passes contamination test
- Filmmaker got 'in the zone' for documentary on robotics team from tiny Minn. town
- 'Hoosiers' with robots: Small towns play big in Minnesota high school robotics
- Mansch On Montana: France honors Lewistown veteran for WWII service
- Why some people still hate LeBron James
- Joe Paterno apologists are blind to reality, unwilling to face facts about ex-Penn State coach
- Ratings and Review: Like a Big Gulp, the 2018 Volkswagen Atlas is huge, cheap and satisfying
- The Spousal Report: Popularity does not prove worthiness, and the 2018 Lexus RX is a case in point