The winners will be announced on May 31 in Hamburg, Germany.
Nguyen Le (real name Le Thanh Nguyen), 59, is a French Vietnamese. He has been nominated in the International Guitar Artist category.
Ngo Hong Quang, 35, has been nominated for the Instrumentalist of the Year, Various Instruments category. He is a graduate of the Traditional Instruments Department of the Vietnam Music Academy and has a master’s degree in contemporary composing from the National Music Academy in the Netherlands.
Both musicians have been nominated for their joint album, Hanoi Duo, released in January 2017.
The album includes 10 of their newly composed songs, some of which bear deep traditional Vietnamese characteristics. The album was re-mixed by Nguyen Le in modern style and was recorded in France.
ACT Music’s website quotes the Frankfurter AllgemeineZeitung newspaper about Nguyen Le: “Nobody plays the guitar like him, the very first exclusive ACT artist ever. Born to Vietnamese parents in Paris in 1959, Nguyen Le is one of the most versatile and independent guitarists in the world, going far beyond the bounds of jazz music and shaped by varied influences such as Asian music, modern jazz, fusion and classic rock.”
The website quotes Nguyen Le’s description of what lies at the heart of this collaboration: “Ngo Hong Quang and I are two Vietnamese musicians whose upbringing and musical education and evolution could not have followed more different paths. And yet we have found that we both share common goals: to express and to share the soul of Vietnam with the wider world, to bring together the roots and the future of Vietnamese music.”
ACT is considered one of the finest curators of progressive jazz and creative music.
With a roster that boasts some of the most influential contemporary jazz recordings in recent years, including the epoch-defining sound of the sorely missed EsbjörnSvensson Trio and a wide range of leading jazz instrumentalists and singers since its foundation in 1992 by music manager and producer Siggi Loch, German label ACT has grown to become a global force.
Over the past 25 years, ACT has championed an incredible array of jazz artists who are defined by their desire to push musical boundaries while reaching out to a wider audience, with both authenticity and innovation at their core.-VNA
- 2019 Grammys: Kendrick Lamar Leads With All The Nominations
- 2019 ACM Awards: Country stars dazzle on the red carpet
- Stunning Vietnamese images displayed in Sony World Photography Awards
- Every Froufy Gown and Cursed Image From the 90th Annual Academy Awards Red Carpet
- HCM City wants to promote cooperation with German localities
- Cardi B and Drake Dominate BET's Hip Hop Awards Nominations
- Olivier Awards 2019: Katharine McPhee leads the red carpet glamour
- Olivier Awards 2019: Joanne Clifton dazzles in ice blue gown
- Olivier Awards 2019: Sally Field and Bill Pullman pose for pictures
- Kacey Musgraves, Keith Urban Take Top Honors At ACM Awards