GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) The NCAA has ”reluctantly” agreed to consider North Carolina as a host for championship events again after the state rolled back a law that limited protections for LGBT people. The governing body said Tuesday its Board of Governors had reviewed moves to repeal the ”bathroom bill” and replace it with a compromise law. The NCAA offered a lukewarm endorsement, saying the new law ”meets the minimal NCAA requirements.” The organization had been a key opponent of the original law. Its events carry major economic power: The North Carolina Sports Association had estimated more than $250 million in potential losses from 130 event bids submitted to the NCAA. The NCAA statement said a majority of the board ”reluctantly voted” to allow for consideration of bids from North Carolina during current deliberations for sites running through 2022. Events for the 2017-18 season that have already been awarded to the state – such as opening-weekend men’s basketball tournament games in Charlotte – will remain in place. ”We are actively determining site selections, and this new law has minimally achieved a situation where we believe NCAA championships may be conducted in a nondiscriminatory environment,” the statement said. ”If we find that… Read full this story
- North Carolina Rep. Dobson running for labor commissioner
- A Comprehensive Timeline of Public Figures Boycotting North Carolina Over the HB2 'Bathroom Bill'
- North Carolina Woman Lied About Having Kidney Cancer to Steal Fundraising Money, Police Say
- North Carolina towns cancel Christmas parades over threats to protest Confederate groups
- Why Is the University of North Carolina Funding Bad History?
- North Carolina Rep. Holding won't seek 2020 reelection
- After 14 years, eastern North Carolina judgeship gets filled
- The North Carolina Governor's Race Is Finally Over
- North Carolina rejects polygamy-themed beer: ‘Polygamy is illegal’
- State Court Tosses GOP’s Gerrymandered Congressional Map in North Carolina
NCAA ‘reluctantly’ agrees to let North Carolina host events have 305 words, post on www.foxsports.com at April 4, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.