The big V8 engine that powers Bentley’s Mulsanne flagship traces its roots all the way back to 1959. The eight-cylinder has been comprehensively updated over the past couple of decades, but the British marque has announced that it’s now living on borrowed time.57 years ago, Bentley’s L-Series V8 launched as a 6.2-liter naturally-aspirated unit fed by a pair of carburetors. It initially powered the ultra-luxurious S2, and the equally-opulent Silver Cloud II that was built by sister company Rolls-Royce. The mill gradually evolved into a 6.75-liter — six and three-quarters in Bentley-speak — unit fed by a pair of large turbochargers. Currently, it develops 505 horsepower and 752 pound-feet of torque in its initial state of tune, though buyers who require more grunt can order a tweaked version of it with 530 horses and a mighty 811 pound-feet of twist.Technology is advancing at a neck-snapping pace. While it’s technically possible to continue spending money on making the eight-cylinder cleaner, more powerful, and more efficient, Bentley boss Wolfgang Dürheimer recently told Car & Driver that the historic V8 has found its “final home” between the front fenders of the current Mulsanne. The next-generation model will adopt a 12-cylinder engine for the first time… Read full this story
- Google threatens to pull search engine from Australia
- COVID-19: Holidays to Spain could be delayed 'until end of summer'
- First ever space 'petrol station' will be built in the UK and orbit the Moon as part of the Lunar Gateway to keep it refuelled with chemical propellants
- Lil Wayne is pardoned by Donald Trump: Rapper who faced 10 years in prison on firearms charge is given clemency after praising the president during 2020 election campaign
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: Jan. 14-20
- Homeowner hanging on cliff edge fears Storm Christoph will send house plunging into sea after losing 18ft of garden
- Thousands of ultra-tough 'moss piglets' were left on the MOON by Israel's Beresheet probe crash in April
- The Hill's Morning Report - Biden's crisis agenda hits headwinds
- UAE Signed Deal to Buy US F-35s Just One Hour Before Biden Was Sworn In as POTUS - Report
- Libby Squire's final moments: CCTV shows butcher 'stalking' his 'target' before 'darting' across road to 'rape and murder' drunk 21-year-old student
The end is near for Bentley's most historic engine have 377 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at June 1, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.