Selma Blair has posted a particularly revealing selfie: She’s announcing she has multiple sclerosis.
“I am disabled. I fall sometimes. I drop things. My memory is foggy,” she wrote Saturday on Instagram, accompanied by a mirror shot of her wearing oversized glasses and a velvet jacket at a wardrobe fitting for her role on Netflix’s upcoming sci-fi drama “Another Life. ”And my left side is asking for directions from a broken gps.”
Blair, 46, says she received her MS diagnosis in August after seeing actress Elizabeth Barkley’s brother, a doctor who identified lesions on her MRI.
“I have had symptoms for years but was never taken seriously until I fell down in front of him trying to sort out what I thought was a pinched nerve. I have probably had this incurable disease for 15 years at least. And I am relieved to at least know. And share.”
View this post on Instagram
I was in this wardrobe fitting two days ago. And I am in the deepest gratitude. So profound, it is, I have decided to share. The brilliant costumer #Allisaswanson not only designs the pieces #harperglass will wear on this new #Netflix show , but she carefully gets my legs in my pants, pulls my tops over my head, buttons my coats and offers her shoulder to steady myself. I have #multiplesclerosis . I am in an exacerbation. By the grace of the lord, and will power and the understanding producers at Netflix , I have a job. A wonderful job. I am disabled. I fall sometimes. I drop things. My memory is foggy. And my left side is asking for directions from a broken gps. But we are doing it . And I laugh and I don’t know exactly what I will do precisely but I will do my best. Since my diagnosis at ten thirty pm on The night of August 16, I have had love and support from my friends , especially @jaime_king @sarahmgellar @realfreddieprinze @tarasubkoff @noah.d.newman . My producers #noreenhalpern who assured me that everyone has something. #chrisregina #aaronmartin and every crew member… thank you. I am in the thick of it but I hope to give some hope to others. And even to myself. You can’t get help unless you ask. It can be overwhelming in the beginning. You want to sleep. You always want to sleep. So I don’t have answers. You see, I want to sleep. But I am a forthcoming person and I want my life to be full somehow. I want to play with my son again. I want to walk down the street and ride my horse. I have MS and I am ok. But if you see me , dropping crap all over the street, feel free to help me pick it up. It takes a whole day for me alone. Thank you and may we all know good days amongst the challenges. And the biggest thanks to @elizberkley who forced me to see her brother #drjasonberkley who gave me this diagnosis after finding lesions on that mri. I have had symptoms for years but was never taken seriously until I fell down in front of him trying to sort out what I thought was a pinched nerve. I have probably had this incurable disease for 15 years at least. And I am relieved to at least know. And share. 🖤 my instagram family… you know who you are.
A post shared by Selma Blair (@selmablair) on Oct 20, 2018 at 11:23am PDT
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society website describes MS as ”an unpredictable, often disabling disease of the central nervous system that disrupts the flow of information within the brain, and between the brain and body.”
The cause is unknown, the site says, though the disease is believed to be triggered by an environmental factor in a person with a genetic predisposition to respond. Most people are diagnosed between ages 20 and 50, and women are two to three times more likely to receive the diagnosis.
She gave a shout-out to her celebrity pals Sarah Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prinze and Jaime King for supporting her through the news.
“I am in the thick of it but I hope to give some hope to others. And even to myself,” she wrote. “I want my life to be full somehow. I want to play with my son again. I want to walk down the street and ride my horse. … If you see me, dropping crap all over the street, feel free to help me pick it up. It takes a whole day for me alone.”
Other celebrities living with MS include Joan Didion, Montel Williams, Clay Walker, Jack Osbourne, Jamie-Lynn Sigler and Teri Garr.
A link has been posted to your Facebook feed.
Interested in this topic? You may also want to view these photo galleries:
- Selma Blair models turquoise swimsuit as she poses poolside in stunning Instagram photos
- Selma Blair shows off her fit figure while rocking a body-hugging sleeveless midi dress as she stops by a newsstand in Studio City
- Selma Blair looks stunning as she shows off her summer body in a turquoise bathing suit amid MS battle
- Gabrielle Union reveals multiple doctors misdiagnosed her fertility issues... before she and Dwyane Wade welcomed a daughter via surrogate
- Legally Blonde star Matthew Davis reveals he is expecting his first child with his wife Kiley Casciano in a sweet Instagram post
- Meghan Markle's path to politics? Biography reveals how she befriended Canadian PM's wife Sophie Trudeau to glean how she went from TV star to 'beloved First Lady' and is in 'regular' contact with Michelle Obama and Jacinda Ardern
- Dominic Cooper and girlfriend Gemma Chan enjoy an idyllic break in Scotland with pal Richard Madden... as actress reveals she wants to adopt a LAMB she met on their travels
- 'Keep your toe in the pond': Single radio producer, 36, reveals why she always dates multiple men at once - and it can help you avoid a broken heart
- Jake Paul pictured for first time since the FBI raided his house and seized multiple high-powered weapons... as he walks dog with ex Tana Mongeau in Calabasas
- Super-fit marketing director, 33, reveals the telltale cancer symptom you NEED to know about - and how she went to see a chiropractor when she first fell ill because she thought she'd pulled a muscle
- Katie Price reveals 'incredibly strong and brave' son Harvey is OUT of intensive care and says his condition has 'improved' as she shares snaps with her boy in hospital
- 'I burned letters from my family': Ant Middleton reveals how he separated home life from his military career as he admits he's learned from his mistakes after backlash over COVID-19 remarks
- Courageous coronavirus scientist who has defected to the US reveals how she fled her home and family to tell the world the truth about China’s cover-up before she became another of the disappeared
- Life on the Mail's farm: It's the rural idyll given away by newspaper in 1907 in a pioneering social experiment. Still standing today, its remarkable history could provide a lesson for thousands of families considering their own escape to the country
- Lala Kent and fiance Randall Emmett reveal they attempting to conceive a child after pushing back their wedding date due to the coronavirus pandemic
- Neil Jones' new girlfriend Luisa Eusse was dating DJ Hannah Wants just THREE WEEKS AGO but 'left her for the Strictly star'
- Man who became so obsessed with going bald he had SEVEN hair transplants reveals how procedures left him in debt and destroyed his marriage
- Boris Johnson's holiday snaps revealed: Carrie Symonds, 32, shares photos of PM hiking with Wilfred in a baby sling as she holds their rescue dog Dilyn during three-day Scottish camping trip - as couple return home
- Hollyoaks Joe Tracini ‘spent £2500 a week on cocaine and attempted suicide multiple times’ before getting sober
- 'I May Destroy You': The Multiple Endings of the HBO Show Explained
Selma Blair reveals she has multiple sclerosis: 'I want my life to be full somehow' have 1592 words, post on www.usatoday.com at June 7, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.