The Secret Service, which protects the president and his family, briefly locked down the White House as a precaution, and Vice President Joe Biden was secured within the White House complex during the lockdown, a White House spokeswoman said.
The shooting took place just off 17th and E streets, near what is known as the South Lawn outside the home and offices of the president.
A man carrying a gun approached a checkpoint shortly after 3 p.m. (1900 GMT) when uniformed Secret Service officers ordered him to stop and drop the weapon, the Secret Service said in a statement.
“When the subject failed to comply with the verbal commands, he was shot once by a Secret Service agent and taken into custody,” the statement said.
The man was taken to hospital in critical condition, the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department said.
A man who appeared to be in his mid-20s walked to a gate of the White House holding a silver-colored gun pointed at the ground, said Brett Polivka, a 26-year-old visitor from Texas who was near the south side of the White House.
“A couple officers drew their guns, went right at him and within two or three seconds we heard a gunshot,” Polivka said.
The Secret Service, which also guards other top dignitaries, said all those under its protection were safe, but it did not say if Obama’s family was home at the time.
“Everyone in the White House is safe and accounted for,” a White House official said.
The shooting followed several incidents that raised questions about the Secret Service’s performance.
In September 2014, a knife-carrying man jumped a fence and ran into the White House itself in one of the worst security breaches during Obama’s tenure.
That episode led to the resignation of the Secret Service’s director.
In March 2015, two Secret Service agents capped off a night of drinking by driving into a White House barricade inches away from a suspicious package that investigators were examining.
In 2011, a man hit the White House with automatic rifle fire, though damage to the building was not discovered for several days.
- Charlize Theron reveals frightening details of the night her mother shot and killed her gun-wielding dad in self-defense: 'I am not ashamed'
- Secret Service study: School attackers showed warning signs
- Suddenly, White House and NRA open to (a little) gun control
- Afternoon Mirror: Ex-White House Aide And Trump Fan Anthony Scaramucci Says Trump Hates Himself
- El Paso 'hero' arrested by Secret Service before meeting Trump at White House: report
- White House pushes back after NRA claims Trump said universal background checks off the table
- Ready for business! Ivanka Trump is all smiles as she leaves her home in a $4,000 Dolce & Gabbana suit before taking the stage at the White House for a childcare summit
- She's in the next room, do you want to meet her? Harry Dunn's parents REJECT Donald Trump's 'bombshell' offer to confront their son's killer in White House ambush - and he REFUSES to send US spy's wife back to face UK justice
- New Zealand Mosque Shooting Suspect Brenton Tarrant Flashes White Power Sign in Court
- Prince Harry's ex-girlfriend Cressida Bonas reveals she was moved to tears playing murderer Jeremy Bamber's sister in TV drama White House Farm
- US Secret Service Booted From Trump Tower Over Lease Disagreement
- Paul Batura: 300-year-old White House decoration offers this inspiring message
- The Hill's Morning Report — Sponsored by AdvaMed — House panel delays impeachment vote until Friday
- Trump's Press Secretary Claims President Hasn't Seen Viral Massacre Shooting Video
- The Latest: Affidavit: Gunman didn’t shoot students he liked
- Seven years after Sandy Hook, the politics of guns has changed
- 'You're going to die': Maduro's death squad interrogates an unarmed Venezuelan shopkeeper, 29, moments before they shoot him inside his home - contradicting the official police report that he died in an alleyway gun battle
- EXCLUSIVE: Ex-lover of playboy artist shot dead in Kenya's new 'White Mischief' mystery insists his wife did NOT kill him – as she reveals how she dumped him over his ruthless womanising
- Why Democrat Chris Murphy Remains Optimistic, But Isn't Holding his Breath For Increasing Background Checks On Gun Sales
- For many, it's clear why El Paso, the "ground zero" of the border debate, was the shooting target
U.S. Secret Service shoots gun-wielding man near White House have 698 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at May 21, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.