Rob Font was living the dream. After building an impressive record on the regional MMA cirtcuit, the Boston fighter got the call-up to the big leagues for a July 2014 fight at UFC 175 against the highly-regarded George Roop. It appeared to be a leap in competition but the aggressive bantamweight was more than ready and scored a clean KO victory in his UFC debut.
The future was bright for the Sityodtong team member, but then it was put on hold. Because of medical issues, the 28-year-old has not fought since that stunning debut.
That changes Sunday night in his hometown as he returns against Joey Gomez on the undercard of the FS1 championship bill taking place in the Boston Garden. Speaking to FOXSports before the fight, Font was philosophical about his time off, but unquestionably eager to jump back in the cage.
“The hardest part of being out for so long was mental,” he said.
“Financially, the debut and KO helped me pay for some things and my girlfriend is so supportive. She takes care of the bills and stuff like that so it really helps me focus on fighting. She is incredible. It was just hard because we wanted to keep things rolling after my debut.
“Still, because I had so much time off, I had a lot of time to improve. When you’re fighting often, you have training camps back-to-back, and you’re worried about cutting weight, getting in shape and tactics. You don’t really have a lot of time for true skill development if you’re just going from fight to fight. During this time out, I’ve been able to improve so much.”
Font says perhaps the area where he’s been able to improve the most is with his Brazilian jiu-jitsu and grappling, thanks to his coach’s focus on him. “It’s phenomenal. He brings people from out of town who are my body type or who have a style I need to learn from for seminars just so they can work with me,” he said.
In all, Font is ready to let his fists fly, and is excited to let his friends and family see how much better he’s gotten since the last time he was under the bright lights. “Fighting at home is always nice,” he said.
“You block things out when you fight so that it doesn’t matter who is in the audience, how many of them there are, and all that. But still, it is good to be able to fight near home for a lot of reasons. It’s good to have the support. I just can’t wait to go out there and do my thing.
- Playoff time for Southland club cricket's ILT Premier League
- Blac Chyna Monitoring Rob Kardashian’s Diet? Confirms The Relationship!
- Rob Gronkowski celebrates Super Bowl win with girlfriend Camille Kostek at Disney World in Florida
- Rob Gronkowski on Tom Brady: 'One of the greatest accomplishments in sports history'
- Texas' dangerous week in the dark is a wake-up call for the country's infrastructure
- Canucks owner gives coach, GM vote of confidence: ‘I have no plans to make changes’
- Pitch for third Test between India and England was not fit for Test cricket, says Rob Key
- Jofra Archer is in complete control of his game and only getting better, say Stuart Broad and Rob Key
- Report: Magic plan to give GM Rob Hennigan a contract extension
- 'Hello police - what's the time?': Nuisance 999 calls can delay responses to real emergencies
- After denting Patriots’ Lombardi Trophy, Rob Gronkowski has yet to see this one
- I’m a meteorite dealer who makes millions selling space rocks – I’ve been kidnapped and robbed in the brutal trade
- Raising Independent, Self-Confident Kids
- Robert Reich: What's More Dangerous, Immigration Or Russian Meddling? | Opinion
- 'A very dangerous epoch': historians try to make sense of Covid
- Romania's democracy in danger after Mihai Tudose resignation
- Dangerous game of double deceit after $300,000 con
- Doctors tell people to IGNORE dangerous myth on Whatsapp that inhaling steam prevents Covid
- Elliot Daly confident England can turn Six Nations campaign around after Scotland defeat at Twickenham
- Stronger Singapore can emerge from humanity's 'most dangerous crisis', says PM Lee on Covid-19 pandemic
Rob Font confident that time off has made him more dangerous than ever have 690 words, post on www.foxsports.com at January 17, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.