Alexandr Dolgopolov retired injured from the Kooyong exhibition tournament in Melbourne on Friday with a right knee injury, handing Spain’s Fernando Verdasco the title and placing the Ukrainian player’s Australian Open appearance in doubt.Dolgopolov, seeded 21st the Australian Open which begins Monday, lost the opening set 7-6 (3) before calling for medical staff because of the injury, then saying he could not continue.The Ukrainian is scheduled to play Paolo Lorenzi of Italy in the first round of the Australian Open.The 26-year-old Dolgopolov said the injury felt the same as he sustained in July playing in Hamburg, Germany, which required surgery and 10 weeks off the tour.”When I was warming up and playing the first set it was fine and the last few games I started feeling something strange in the knee and it started to get worse,” he said. ”I’m not sure I’ll be playing in the Open because it feels quite the same like I did before the surgery. My physio is saying 99 percent (the) meniscus that I injured before.”In a final round-robin match at Kooyong, Richard Gasquet of France beat Kei Nishikori of Japan 7-6 (4), 7-6 (6).Later Friday, Czech Fed Cup teammates Petra Kvitova and Karolina… Read full this story
- Federer insists Djokovic is NOT invincible… and he is still sprightly enough at 38 to prove it in Aussie Open semi
- Salisbury becomes 7th Brit to win Australian Open men’s doubles & wants to get on property ladder with £193k cheque
- Novak Djokovic crushes Roger Federer in straight sets to reach record eighth Australian Open final
- Dominic Thiem to face Novak Djokovic in Australian Open final despite lights going out causing semi-final delay
- Kenin follows in hero Sharapova’s footsteps after heroic comeback win over Muguraza to become Australian Open champion
- Who is Novak Djokovic’s wife Jelena, and how many children does Australian Open 2020 tennis finalist have with her?
- Novak Djokovic apologises for touching umpire after ‘you made yourself famous’ rant in Australian Open final
- Child Injured In Mountain Lion Attack On Santa Clara County Park Trail
- Serena Williams v Naomi Osaka Highlights Score, US Open Final: Naomi Osaka Beats Serena Williams To Win US Open 2018 Title
- Australian Open 2020: Thiem edges Zverev to set up Djokovic final
Dolgopolov injured in Kooyong exhibition final; Aussie Open in doubt have 380 words, post on www.foxsports.com at January 15, 2015. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.