Despite a wildly successful political career that took her to the White House, the Senate and the state department, Hillary Clinton says her first priority in life was always raising her daughter Chelsea, according to excerpts released from Clinton’s upcoming book.
The former first lady reveals deeply personal reflections on motherhood and the death of her own mother in her new memoir “Hard Choices,” parts of which were published Sunday on Vogue magazine’s website.
“From the moment I first held Chelsea in my arms in the hospital in Little Rock, I knew my mission in life was to give her every opportunity to thrive,” Clinton writes in the book, set to be released June 10 by publisher Simon & Schuster. “Now that she’s expecting a child of her own, I’m preparing for a new role that I’ve looked forward to for years: grandmother.”
Chelsea Clinton announced last month that she and husband Marc Mezvinsky were expecting a baby.
The excerpt’s release, which coincided with Mother’s Day, also include Clinton’s fond thoughts of her own mom, including the painful memory of her 2011 passing.
“Dorothy Howell Rodham was a fiercely independent woman. She couldn’t bear the thought of being a burden to anyone,” Clinton wrote. Having her so close became a source of great comfort to me, especially in the difficult period after the end of the 2008 campaign.”
“On the evening of October 31 (2011), … I was preparing to leave for London and Turkey. My team was already on board the airplane at Andrews waiting for me to arrive so we could take off. That’s when I got the call that Mom had been rushed to George Washington University Hospital,” Clinton wrote. “I quickly canceled the trip and sped there. Bill, Chelsea, and Marc rushed down from New York … Mom was a fighter her entire life, but it was finally time to let go. I sat by her bedside and held her hand one last time.”
“Hard Choices,” Clinton’s first book since “Living History” in 2003, is expected to offer readers a detailed view into her life after her 2008 White House bid and her tenure as secretary of state.
- Hillary Clinton stops in New Hampshire for first time since NYC launch rally, talks about vow for universal pre-k programs
- Hillary Clinton to speak at University of Michigan on Oct. 10
- A Formal Request For Hillary Clinton to Go Sit Her Ass Down Somewhere
- Hillary Clinton Says Bill Didn't Abuse His Power With Monica Lewinsky Because She 'Was an Adult'
- Here's Hillary Clinton With a Truly Horrible Take On the 'Migration Issue'
- Explosive Devices Found in Mail Sent to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama
- Someone Mailed 'Functional Explosive' Devices to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama
- Hillary Clinton implies Castros like embargo, Gloria Estefan misses opportunity for change in Cuba
- Hillary Clinton Rigged the Race Against Bernie Sanders and Donna Brazile Has Proof
- Hillary Clinton addresses her age, political track record and the economy in first 2016 campaign speech
- Life & times of Hillary Clinton make good drama...off Broadway
- Hillary Clinton and Chelsea Clinton coming to Minneapolis
- Hillary Clinton needs a 'miracle' to win Iowa, says Bubba
- Hillary Clinton, New York Democrats have Sarah Palin in their site at Labor Day powow
- Hillary Clinton's plea for peace
- Rudy Giuliani and Hillary Clinton rub New Hampshire voters the wrong way
- Red alert, Hillary Clinton: Karl Rove is offering you advice
- Brooklyn Hasidic paper Der Zeitung cuts Sec. of State Hillary Clinton out of Bin Laden raid photo
- Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign hires well-regarded advocate Lorella Praeli as Latino Outreach Director
- Head of Family Planning Advocates and former Hillary Clinton staffer to become lobbyist: sources
Hillary Clinton reflects on motherhood in new memoir have 600 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at May 11, 2014. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.