A touching photograph of a 5-year-old girl is being used in a 20th anniversary fundraising campaign for Haitian Women for Haitian Refugees, a New York-based organization known throughout the U.S. and the Caribbean for educating, organizing and advocating for immigrants. The childhood photo of organization cofounder Lily Cerat, who turns 50 on Saturday, is being used to drum up financial support for the Brooklyn organization she helped establish in 1992. A flyer – bearing the photo, an appeal for donations, and 50th birthday shout-out for Cerat – is being distributed by the organization and it supporters. Cerat, a Haitian-American community activist, educator and writer, started the group with fellow community leader Ninaj Raoul to help meet the many needs of Haitian immigrants in America. HWHR is a project of the Manhattan-based Interreligious Foundation for Community Organization. Raoul and Cerat experienced the immigrants’ needs first-hand when they worked aiding Haitians immigrants being held detained America’s Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba. “Upon returning from Guantanamo in 1992, where Ninaj and I met working as Haitian language specialists, we began receiving calls from the refugees, who were arriving in the U.S. We had actually given our home phone numbers to them,” said… Read full this story
- UK to Celebrate 35th Anniversary of UK - Vietnam Diplomatic Relations
- Tokyo Disneyland marks 35th anniversary with reopened popular attraction
- ‘Pearls of Far East' movie celebrates role of women
- Soprano from Milton Keynes to sing at Wembley Stadium for Women's FA Cup final
- Record numbers attend Black Women’s Expo
- Bella and Gigi Hadid Join New York Protests in #NoBanNoWall March Against Trump’s Refugee Ban
- Ulala Session – 꿈의 대화 Lyrics (Joo Young Hoon 20th Anniversary 2nd Single)
- Google celebrates birth anniversary of KL Saigal with a doodle
- Peace in Northern Ireland reaches 20th anniversary but what is the Good Friday Agreement?
- MINI Convertible Celebrates 25th Anniversary with Special UK-Only Model
Haitian Women for Haitian Refugees celebrates 20th anniversary have 318 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at November 18, 2012. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.