Sam Champion says he is no Groomzilla.
Last week, the “Good Morning America” weatherman forecasted that he’ll be marrying his boyfriend, photographer Rubem Robierb, later this year, but tells [email protected] not to expect a star-studded gala, presumably hosted by Ryan Seacrest with performances by Lady Gaga and the New York Philharmonic.
“It’s gonna be very small,” Champion told us at the Skin Cancer Foundation Gala at the Plaza Hotel.
“We’re just kind of in the planning stages, but we’re people who would just grab a bottle of Champagne, head to the beach and call it a day.”
Champion says his nuptials probably will take place in New York, with a New Year’s Day reception likely to follow in Miami, where Robierb has a photo studio.
The 51-year-old TV vet insists that he and Robierb — who is 15 years his junior — haven’t designed rings, chosen groomsman or picked tuxes yet.
“Look in my eyes,” he says. “There are no plans yet.”
Should Champion change his mind, he’d have plenty of guests. When he made his big announcement Friday, ABC colleague Diane Sawyer tweeted about “everybody here celebrating Sam’s happiness.” Thomas Roberts of rival network MSNBC chimed in with “congrats to YOU and Rubem — can’t wait to dance at your wedding. Love ya buddy!”
Champion might also consider inviting CNN anchor Anderson Cooper. According to Champion, when Cooper announced plans to marry his boyfriend, Benjamin Maisani, in July, it helped pave the way for him and Robierb.
“It’s not easy,” Champion says about coming out nationally. “So whenever anyone does do it, it makes it easier for everybody, just a little bit.”
Champion says it was never his intention to be a news story.
“What I do for a living is, I work in the news business, and we talk about other people and other people’s lives,” he says.
Look for Champion to wear purple on Oct. 19’s “GMA” in support of GLAAD Spirit Day, backing gay rights.
Richard Corkery/New York Daily News
Ben Affleck and Matt Damon at the Porterhouse Restaurant in the Time Warner Building celebrating the special screening of the movie ‘Argo.’
‘WONDER’ MAN AFFLECK GARNERS A FAVOR
Ben Affleck can thank his gorgeous wife, Jennifer Garner, for making him blush — again and again and again.
The hunky Hollywood A-lister who directed the new film “Argo” tells [email protected] he was “blown away” when Garner said he had “wonder sperm” on Ellen DeGeneres’ daytime talk show.
“I’m usually the one who says inappropriate things on national television and has to apologize for them later,” said the chatty father of three. Affleck says he’s using Garner’s embarrassing goof as a get-out-of-jail-free-card for “when I say something stupid.”
Affleck has been dealing with fallout from Garner’s talk show appearance for weeks while making the rounds promoting “Argo.”
Meanwhile, George Clooney, one of the film’s producers, walked the carpet solo and also attended the after-party at Porter House Steakhouse, sans girlfriend Stacy Keibler. But a night owl tells us the pair met up later at club No. 8 where Clooney arrived around 11 p.m. with a handful of pals, including actor Richard Kind. The group was joined by “Good Morning America” lifestyle anchor Lara Spencer, and “about seven of them sat at the booth closest to the bar and ordered some food,” our snitch says.
KATIE SKIRTS SECT’S MANIACS
Katie Holmes is lucky she skipped out on a breakfast meeting with some of her “Dead Accounts” castmates and crew at the Paramount Hotel on 46th St. According to sources, the Church of Scientology, just next door, was blasting propaganda through two color TVs and loudspeakers onto the street. A spokeswoman for Holmes says the actress was on a photo shoot and her missing the breakfast had nothing to do with the hotel’s location.
Susan Watts/New York Daily News
Led Zeppelin wants fans to enjoy a volume deal at their film ‘Celebration Day.’ From left: Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, Jason Bonham and Jimmy Page.
LED ZEP’S GOT A WHOLE LOTTA FANS
A mob greeted Led Zeppelin when the group arrived at the premiere of “Celebration Day,” a concert film about the band’s final show in 2007. Guitar god Jimmy Page said the on-screen rocking, which he mixed, will also be turned to 11. “I hope it’s damn loud!” Page told [email protected] Just to make sure, theater staff turned the volume up four times, pushing the decibel level to an ear-splitting 9.5. Seeing how Zeppelin still excites crowds, we asked singer Robert Plant if he and his notoriously prickly band might tour one more time. He walked away.
Brian Ach/Invision for Advertising Week/AP Images
Singer Rita Ora is seen posing for an exclusive portrait at Advertising Week on Oct. 1 in New York.
ORA TRUSTS BÉYONCÉ
Jay-Z may be singer Rita Ora’s mentor, but before the bleach-blond beauty’s surprise performance at the Boom Boom Room’s Absolut Tune Launch, she confessed that Béyoncé is “the biggest idol to me.” Ora tells [email protected], “She just said to me, really really simply, ‘Just sing whatever makes you feel good, and everyone else will believe it.’ ”
ROCK, CANNAVALE IN A PICKLE
Former castmates Chris Rock and Bobby Cannavale play catch-up over lunch at the upper West Side’s Jacob’s Pickle. Cannavale will be back on Broadway soon, appearing with Al Pacino in David Mamet’s “Glengarry Glen Ross,” opening Nov. 11.
Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig.
007 READY FOR ACTION
Daniel Craig spied something he wanted to get his hands on at an Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences party: His wife’s bootylicious behind. An insider says the “James Bond” actor held hands with his spouse, actress Rachel Weisz, throughout the evening at Stone Rose Lounge, and “even grabbed her bum a few times.” They weren’t the only boldfacers getting hands-on. Our source says Ben Affleck, Michael Douglas and Richard Gere, who all arrived without their wives, “embraced in a triple hug.” The formidable threesome spent time chatting with another power trio — Michael Moore, Steven Soderbergh and Bette Midler.
SANCHEZ IS BACKUP FOR LONGORIA
Celebrity stylist Robert Verdi tells [email protected] that when it comes to hanging out with his BFF Eva Longoria, Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez plays second string to him. “Oh, no, no, no, no — make no mistake,” says Verdi, adding that Longoria calls Sanchez when Verdi is previously committed. “Mark takes my spot and occasionally I let him, you know, go along for the ride.”
RUDD, SHANNON, ASNER IN SARDI’S SPOTLIGHT
Paul Rudd, Michael Shannon and Ed Asner were blown away when their caricatures were added to the 1,300 already on the walls at Sardi’s Restaurant. “I never thought I’d be here today talking to you about my caricature,” Rudd admitted to [email protected] The trio star in Broadway’s “Grace” alongside Shannon’s girlfriend, Kate Arrington.
Broadway producer Irv Welzer telling pals at Flex Mussels Restaurant on 82nd St. that he’s “never seen such excitement about a book party” for the Monday launch of Regis Philbin’s paperback edition of “How I Got That Way” at the Friars Club … Matt Dillon giving photographers the slip by sneaking through SVA theater’s side door to a screening of Federico Castelluccio’s “Keep Your Enemies Closer: Checkmate.”
Ariani / Splash News
Blake Lively steps out on the carpet at the Chanel Fine Jewelry party on West 53rd Street for the 80th anniversary of the Bijoux et Diamants collection.
LIVELY’S A SPARKLER
Blake Lively’s pink wedding ring rocked the Chanel Fine Jewelry party. It was Lively and her pet rock’s first public appearance since the “Gossip Girl” married Ryan Reynolds last month. Rose Byrne, January Jones and Diane Kruger were also there, but it was 14-year-old Elle Fanning who, a source said, was called “a really cool chick” by puckhead Sean Avery.
January Jones at Chanel Bijoux De Diamant 80th Anniversary.
- Coronation Street's Eva Price and Maria Connor clash in dramatic wedding scenes
- Married At First Sight FIRST LOOK: Elizabeth Sobinoff reveals her skinny frame in a strapless wedding gown... after losing 10kg since the last season
- Coronation Street first-look at Adam and Sarah's wedding amid Gary Windass drama
- Princess Beatrice’s wedding will not be shown live on BBC after ‘toxic’ Prince Andrew’s involvement in Epstein scandal
- Big fat Indian wedding goes on a diet as slowdown bites
- Dog therapy! Ben Affleck carries a newly adopted Golden Retriever puppy as he touches down in Atlanta with his wedding ring ON... to visit the kids
- Coronation Street SPOILER: Jane Danson channels Hilda Ogden in curlers as she joins co-stars Lucy Fallon and Andy Whyment to film Sarah Platt's wedding
- Donald Trump says Iran 'appears to be standing down' but vows to hit the regime with 'punishing sanctions' after damp squib revenge rocket attack fails to draw American blood
- Matt Deggs vows to carry Robichaux's torch as new Cajuns baseball head coach
- 'Despite my appearance, I don't consider myself attractive': MAFS 2020 groom Ivan Sarakula reveals his insecurities ahead of TV wedding
- Jake Paul vs AnEsonGib: Logan Paul's younger brother vows to gain revenge on KSI
- Jaime Winstone on upcoming Torvill & Dean movie, her wild past and famous dad Ray Winstone
- PICTURED: Justin Timberlake and on-screen love interest Alisha Wainwright tenderly hold hands in the corner of a bar (and he's NOT wearing his wedding ring) after filming scenes for new movie Palmer in New Orleans
- Coronation Street's Alan Halsall and Tisha Merry look loved up as they enjoy low-key shopping date
- MAFS' Jules Robinson returns to venue where she married co-star Cameron Merchant to host $100 a head fundraiser where guests can win 'luxurious getaways and Champagne magnums' while sipping 'wines from bushfire-affected regions in Adelaide'
- 20 Albums to Get Excited About in 2020
- Are Dan Osborne and Jacqueline Jossa still together? A look at the latest cheating allegations
- Tottenham's form proves even Jose Mourinho is no magician, says Harry Redknapp
- The Bachelor: Hannah Brown drops bomb on Peter Weber leaving him 'confused' on season 24 premiere
- Ranji Trophy newsfile: Shubman Gill fined entire match fee for dissent
Sam Champion vows to not be a Groomzilla on his upcoming wedding to Rubem Robierb have 1705 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 10, 2012. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.