“We are on the verge of losing ownership of our airwaves” to U.S. media interests, Stephen Waddell, national executive director of ACTRA, which represents 21,000 domestic performers, said ahead of a public meeting in Calgary.Representatives for ACTRA, the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada (CEPU) and the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting also unveiled a poll that indicates 66% of Canadians believe domestic TV content carriers are too important to Canada to allow first-time foreign control over them.The Calgary gathering was timed to coincide with a possible national election early next year.”At a time when the country could be thrown into an election at any moment, the poll contains a strong message to politicians who may favor opening Canada’s media to foreign ownership. There is no political upside for any party to support the sell-off of our media,” Peter Murdoch, vp media for the CEPU, said.Currently, foreign companies are limited to a 20% direct equity stake in Canadian broadcasters and other culturally sensitive media companies. The Canadian government in October established a blue-ribbon panel to examine a reduction or end to foreign ownership restrictions on domestic broadcasters (HR 11/1). Ian Morrison, a spokesman for the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, a… Read full this story
- Canadian and American unions seek to raise wages in Mexico amid NAFTA talks
- Crop Advances Its San Bernardino Dispensary Application and Increases Ownership in California Farm
- Canadian researchers can't yet explain purple, aurora-like light
- Private unions almost non-existent in Lebanon CountyYou may also be interested in...
- Brett Kavanaugh Sided With A Union-Busting Employer After It Violated Workers' Rights
- Union endorses Pritzker or McCann over Rauner, discounts 'spoiler' talk
- Insurance agency and law enforcement warn against viral dance challenge
- Ernst Tanner, Red Bull Salzburg academy director, named new Union sporting director
- Trump Speeches Should Come With Parental Advisory Warning for Children, Says Maxine Waters
- European Union Sanctions Companies Following Construction of Bridge Between Russia and Crimean Peninsula
Canadian unions warn on ownership have 326 words, post on www.hollywoodreporter.com at December 6, 2007. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.